[rdiff-backup-users] New user, some simple questions

From: Daryl Styrk
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] New user, some simple questions
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 01:19:14 -0500

I have recently started using rdiff-backup to backup /home from my
laptop to an external drive.  I am trying to get a better idea of what
exactly is going on. After reading over the man page and looking over a few examples I still have some questions.

I currently have a simple script to run

rdiff-backup --exclude /home/daryl/Downloads/ /home/daryl/ /media/Lacie/daryl_backup

However testing --exclude by dropping test.txt in ~/Downloads shows that the directory is still being copied over. Is this because the first time I ran rdiff to the target I did not include --exclude in my script?

Another test I tried was putting text1.txt in ~/ and running the script. After verifying that it made it to the target /media/Lacie/daryl_backup I then removed it from ~/ and ran the script again. Looking again at the target I found that it had been removed. It was my understanding that it should have stayed there until I removed it with --remove-older-than . What happens here?

rdiff-backup 1.2.5 from Debian Lenny.

Enlightenment or some pointers at what I should be reading would be appreciated.

My overall goal is to keep a daily backup of /home while controlling either by hand or automagically how big the destination grows, be it a month, year or whatever. If that seems impractical I'm open to suggestions.

Please CC me as I'm not subscribed to this list.

Daryl