Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Adding SHA1Digest to existing backup

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Adding SHA1Digest to existing backup
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 09:31:01 -0500

On Feb 13, 2009, at 6:09 PM, Maarten Bezemer wrote:
I have a number of rdiff-backup repo's that started quite a while ago. With the current version I'm using, changing (or newly added) files get an extra line in the metadata showing the SHA1 digest of the file. But older files that haven't changes in many months do not have this information in the metadata.

Is there a way to have rdiff-backup calculate these hashes for all files currently in the repo (only the current version would be enough; previous versions would just not have the checksum and be fine without it).

There isn't a way to have rdiff-backup to do it. However, it is easy to script yourself.

You can generate the SHA1 sums using the openssl command (for example):
$ openssl sha1 /path/to/file

The SHA1 hashes are stored in the mirror_metadata file, which is inside the rdiff-backup-data dir, and is simply a (gzip'd) text file. Here's an example entry:

File foo
  Type reg
  Size 5
  SHA1Digest 4cbd040533a2f43fc6691d773d510cda70f4126a
  ModTime 1234621688
  Uid 501
  Uname owsla
  Gid 0
  Gname wheel
  Permissions 420

For every entry of "Type reg", without a SHA1Digest line, simply add in that line.

Andrew