Re: [rdiff-backup-users] include other filesystems?

From: Jakob Unterwurzacher
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] include other filesystems?
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2009 20:59:04 +0100

Yuval Hager schrieb:
> Hello,
>
> My directory structure is as follows:
> / is one file system
> /data is another
>
> /home is linked to /data/home
> /usr/local/data is linked to /data/usr/local/data
>
> I am backing up '/', using --include-globbing-filelist that looks as follows:
>
> + /home/user1
> + /home/user2
> + /usr/local/data
> + /etc
> - **
>
> How can I get both filesystems backed up? I've tried modifying the filelist
> have the link targets (e.g. /data/home/user1 etc) instead, but it doesn't
> work as well.
> Is there some way to include other filesystems in the globbing filelist?
>
> I believe that I'm looking for an --include-other-filesystems command line
> option?

I think you are hitting this, from the rsync manpage:

       rsync finds the files to send.  If  a  pattern  excludes  a
       particular parent directory, it can render a deeper include
       pattern ineffectual because rsync did not  descend  through
       that  excluded  section of the hierarchy.  This is particu‐
       larly important  when  using  a  trailing  ‘*’  rule.   For
       instance, this won’t work:

              + /some/path/this-file-will-not-be-found
              + /file-is-included
              - *

       This  fails because the parent directory “some” is excluded
       by the ‘*’ rule, so rsync never visits any of the files  in
       the  “some” or “some/path” directories.  One solution is to
       ask for all directories in the hierarchy to be included  by
       using a single rule: “+ */” (put it somewhere before the “-
       *” rule), and perhaps use  the  --prune-empty-dirs  option.
       Another  solution  is to add specific include rules for all
       the parent dirs that need to  be  visited.   For  instance,
       this set of rules works fine:

              + /some/
              + /some/path/
              + /some/path/this-file-is-found