Re: [rdiff-backup-users] using rdiff-backup to backup block-devices

From: freisei
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] using rdiff-backup to backup block-devices
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 07:56:30 +0100

Dominic schrieb:
Freisei wrote:
is it possible to patch rdiff-backup to backup snapshots of lvm2-devices?
Would be great to have incremental backups of my virtual machines.

rdiff-backup /dev/vg0/backupdiff .
Fatal Error: Source /dev/vg0/backupdiff is not a directory

For rsync there is a patch called "--copy-devices"
That would be nice, but you can always mount the lvm snapshot and then back that up using rdiff-backup (then unmount and remove the snapshot) - my cron job does this daily.

Dominic

I want to backup windows-harddisk-images (not only partitions) with all stuff - (bootsector etc.) there are additional problems with database-servers on this partition - and NTFS isn?t fully supported (ADS etc.) on writeback.

So i have no chance to restore my win-server-vm exactly.

I think, i really have to backup the entire image.

- Freisei