Re: [rdiff-backup-users] trying to restart rdiff-backup after failure wi

From: Maarten Bezemer
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] trying to restart rdiff-backup after failure without deleting entire mirror
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 06:56:44 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009, Athanasios Dousis wrote:

I've been trying a few suggestions from your list archives but have had little success, so I'm asking for your help to resolve my problem.

I've messed up my rdiff-backup-data directory beyond repair, but the data in the current mirror /backup/home is actually quite close to its source /home.

How do I restore rdiff-backup-data without having to delete the entire backup directory (~1TB) and start from scratch?

What version of rdiff-backup are you using?

Since you say the rdiff-backup-data directory is already messed up, there's little point in trying to keep the increments (history). So removing the rdiff-backup-data directory and starting the rdiff-backup command with the --force argument added to the command line should do the trick. Remember to remove the --force argument once this first run is finished, since it may haunt you if you continue to run production with the --force still present.

It might actually be enough to just remove the rdiff-backup-data directory, if you're using one of the most recent rdiff-backup releases. (Didn't try these yet, and I didn't have to start a fresh backup tree since it was discussed here)

HTH,
Maarten