Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Looking for best online backup solutions

From: Dave Kempe
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Looking for best online backup solutions
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 11:39:21 +1100

Josh Nisly wrote:
Since we're talking about this anyway...

I operate a small business providing online backup service, centered around rdiff-backup. I've built an installation and backup selection GUI on top of it so that it's easy to use, and have rdiffWeb set up for easy data restoration.

I'm not trying to advertise (hence no link to my website), but I did want to mention this to point out that rdiff-backup can be used in this way.

Hi,
we also have done this. We only support clients that have a linux box onsite, that we manage, so we haven't developed a selection/scheduling gui (have done in the past, but don't use it anymore)

Primarily, what you are offering is a hosting solution - the backup software can be collaboratively developed, and open source fits great. Customers use you (or us) for offsite backup because they trust you and you give them a decent price on hosting their backups. The software choice is to some extent secondary for most of our customers. Although we have modified backupninja significantly to make backups more robust and more transparent.

dave