Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Looking for best online backup solutions

From: Ryan How
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Looking for best online backup solutions
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 11:04:39 +0900

I use vembu storgrid for some of my clients. (http://vembu.com). The free version doesn't let you back up over the net, but you can back up to an external drive or another pc on the same subnet.

Another one I came across is buddybackup which is a peer to peer online backup (free). But you might be battling to back up 300GB on there :)

They are commercial, similar functionality to rdiff-backup, vembu even uses the rsync algorithm, but as dominic said, nicer GUI, also have good reporting, notifications in case of vembu.

For video backup I would reckon just get an external drive and archive that kind of stuff. Use online backup for smaller, often changing files. Much more cost effective. Also downloading 100's of gigs in the even of a crash is not fun.

Ryan

Dominic wrote:
JoeRyan wrote:
I am new to this stuff, and I usually work in a Windows environment. What would be the best way for me to secure my files, and make sure I don't lose everything if my computer crashes? I have about 300 gigs of data, and one video file that is 30+ gigs large. What about online backup (http://www.backupright.com)? But I've also heard about these products (http://pcbackupreview.com/backupchoices.php) and this one (http://www.carbonite.com) also work well.
All of your choices are commercial (pay for) solutions. While I was investigating the same topic, I wrote a page here http://www.edendevelopments.co.uk/rdiff-backup.php which might give you a few leads particularly on open source alternatives.

Generally the commercial solutions offer less functionality than the best open source alternatives, but they are easier to use, there should be less chance of them going wrong (?) and there is someone else to blame if they do!

But as a loyal rdiff-backup user I say the best is rdiff-backup http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/. Of course!

Dominic