[rdiff-backup-users] Ubuntu rdiff-backup PPA?

From: Andreas Olsson
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Ubuntu rdiff-backup PPA?
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 01:08:59 +0100

Right now I'm working on moving my rdiff-backup debs from a private repository
to a Launchpad PPA. In that process I got an idea...

Unless you'r familiar with with Launchpad and their PPA, now is a good time to
find out :)  Feel free to visit https://help.launchpad.net/Packaging/PPA

The idea is to have some kind of (semi-)official rdiff-backup PPA providing
updated packages of rdiff-backup to Ubuntu. This could be something really
useful, considering Ubuntu 9.04 (jaunty) will be the first release shipping
packages from the current rdiff-backup stable branch.

For example; Ubuntu 8.04 (hardy) provides rdiff-backup 1.1.15 by default while
Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) provide a somewhat patched rdiff-backup 1.1.16. Both
thse Ubuntu releases will most definitely be around for a while.

Provided there are some kind of official sanctioning I should be able to take
care of maintaining such a repository. By now I'm starting to get quite
familiar with both rdiff-backup and the debian packaging system. Of course, it
would probably be a good idea to have a few people helping out the testing.

--
Andreas Olsson
http://www.andreasolsson.se/