Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Easy Way to Find Lost Files ?

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Easy Way to Find Lost Files ?
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 18:15:06 -0500

On Jan 17, 2009, at 1:45 PM, Damon Timm wrote:
Is there anyway to search a range of dates ?  Like 6weeks to 5weeks
ago, by chance ?  Anyway, using that, with grep, probably would be
enough to find what I am looking for.  It doesn't happen that often,
but, I suppose, that is what the incremental is for!

A good approach to that would be using software which prepares an alternate presentation of the repository, such as archfs, http://code.google.com/p/archfs/ or one of the Web front ends: http://wiki.rdiff-backup.org/wiki/index.php/GraphicalUserInterfaces

On another note, any thoughts on how I might have rdiff-backup
--remove-older-than only when hard drive space is too low for the next
backup (and only remove the oldest version necessary to free up enough
space) ?

That's a suggested feature:
http://wiki.rdiff-backup.org/wiki/index.php/DeleteEnoughToFinish

The reason it hasn't been implemented is that it would require either figuring out how much space is needed beforehand (which requires scanning the whole source repository in advance, something which rdiff- backup is currently not setup for; however implementing that functionality would allow various other requested features to be developed), or rdiff-backup would have to detect that out-of-disk- space event, reverse the current session, delete an increment, and start over (that, of course, hits a horrible case when the current backup wants to add a, say, 40GB file, and deleting each increment only frees a few MB or so).

You might want to checkout the Wiki, particularly SuggestedFeatures, TipsAndTricks, and ContribSripts.

Andrew