Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Backwards compatibility

From: Gad Abraham
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Backwards compatibility
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 22:22:59 +1100

Andrew Ferguson wrote:
On Jan 11, 2009, at 8:49 AM, Gad Abraham wrote:
I'm interested in using rdiff-backup to backup my home directories in Ubuntu Hardy to an external drive (not over the network).

Are future versions of rdiff-backup guaranteed to be able to read older backups?

Yes, there is generally an effort to do that. Furthermore, the archives are kept in an open format.

Please see the FAQ entry: "2. Is rdiff-backup backwards compatible?"
http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/FAQ.html#compatible

Thanks,
Gad