[rdiff-backup-users] keeping hard-linked copy while backup in progress

From: Michael
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] keeping hard-linked copy while backup in progress
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 22:04:41 +1100

Hi,
I'm very new to rdiff-backup. I read a few places that if backup process is interrupted while in progress, the backup folder may be corrupted. Since every older version depend on the mirror copy, basically all the increments become useless. Have I got it right so far?

If that is the case, I thought of copying the whole backup folder using 'cp -al' to a temp folder before running rdiff-backup, and keep it there until backup is successfully finished. Now the only way this would work is if rdiff-backup didn't update any files (including its special files) in place.

My question is, does rdiff-backup update any files in-place in the target folder?

thanks & regards,
mikeY