Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Charset problem windows->linux backup

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Charset problem windows->linux backup
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 11:06:34 -0500

On Jan 7, 2009, at 6:01 AM, Gregy wrote:
Hello, I have a little problem here. I am using rdiff-backup for
linux-linux backups without issue but I have a problem with windows
version. When I backup special characters are not reencoded or
reencoded badly so it appears like '?' on my utf8 linux system. On
windows I am using cp1250 and national characters like "ěščřžýá". So
on windows the name of a directory or file is "nějaká složka" and on
linux after backup "n?jak? slo?ka". If I restore the backup using
rdiff-backup it looks fine as long as it is on windows. Thank you for
any help.

Hi Greg,

International support is not something I am very good with, so you may need to bear with me.

- How are you backing up from Windows to Linux? Are you using the native Windows rdiff-backup.exe ? If so, how is your SSH setup? If you are exporting your Windows files, have you read this FAQ entry: http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/FAQ.html#cifs

- How is your Windows set to "cp1250" ? In order to try to help you with this problem, I would like to setup a VM in another character set, but I don't know anything about that.

I'm glad to hear that the restore looks fine! :-)

Andrew