Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Backing up remote db's

From: Oliver Mulatz
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Backing up remote db's
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 12:10:29 +0100

Hi Peter,

on Mon, 05 Jan 2009 17:43:33 +1100 you wrote:

I am running rdiff-backup on a linux box and have a mysql database server running on another windows box.

Can I set up a rdiff-backup config to log in remotely to the mysql on the other box and do a dump of all databases so it gets backed up? I suppose I could run rdiff on the windows box but my linux one is a more stable runner.

If I can, how do I configure a username and password so it can connect?
Peter

rdiff-backup itself does not do specific Mysql-tasks, but I think
AutoMySQLBackup
does exactly what you need. If you remove in the script the appended
timestamp-string
from the created filename, you can also benefit from storing only the actual
changes
with rdiff-backup, not full dumps each time.

It supports remote backups from Windows MySQL to Linux (script runs on
Linux-server e.g. via cron) or other way 'round (requires CygWin) and also doing
local backups on a host (for Windows CygWin is required), e.g. for later
fetching
via rsync.

## AutoMySQLBackup Script Features ##

    * Backup mutiple MySQL databases with one script. (Now able to backup
      ALL databases on a server easily. no longer need to specify each database
      seperately)
    * Backup all databases to a single backup file or to a seperate directory
and
      file for each database.
    * Automatically compress the backup files to save disk space using either
      gzip or bzip2 compression.
    * Can backup remote MySQL servers to a central server.
    * Runs automatically using cron or can be run manually.
    * Can e-mail the backup log to any specified e-mail address instead of
"root".
      (Great for hosted websites and databases).
    * Can email the compressed database backup files to the specified email
address.
    * Can specify maximun size backup to email.
    * Can be set to run PRE and POST backup commands. <- to interface with
rdiff-backup nicely
    * Choose which day of the week to run weekly backups.

Full feature description:
  http://members.lycos.co.uk/wipe_out/automysqlbackup/

Project site:
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/automysqlbackup/