Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: multiple directories

From: Andreas Olsson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: multiple directories
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 15:19:28 +0100

On Monday 29 December 2008 15:09:24 Terry wrote:
> rdiff-backup -v5 --print-statistics --include-globbing-filelist
> /root/rdiff-inc --exclude '**' / /usb-drive/rdiff
> So now its working I need to under stand what this part does --exclude '**'
> / Because with out it the cmd fails and I cant understand why I need to
> exclude any thing. I am sure it will be so obvious once explained and I
> will feel a bit of a idiot

The basic syntax of rdiff-backup is

rdiff-backup --optionable-options /source/path /destination/path

In our example the sole "/" is the source path.

the --exclude '**' tells rdiff-backup to exclude everything, which hasn't
already been explicitly been included. Otherwise rdiff-backup would have
taken the entire source path, which in the case of / wouldn't really have
been what you were after :) Actually, includes only makes sence if you also
have excludes.

Feel free to take a look at the section FILE SECTION in the man page.

--
Andreas Olsson
http://www.andreasolsson.se/