Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: can't backup - weird errors..

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: can't backup - weird errors..
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 13:50:41 -0500

On Dec 18, 2008, at 12:11 PM, anirudh shekhawat wrote:

On 12/18/08, Andrew Ferguson <address@hidden> wrote:

You should exclude your .Trash-1000 folder -- clearly your desktop
manager manipulates many files behind the scenes.
I checked the man page,but couldn't see the exclude directory
option,how shall exclude trash folder

From the manpage:

       --exclude shell_pattern
Exclude the file or files matched by shell_pattern. If a direc- tory is matched, then files under that directory will also be matched. See the FILE SELECTION section for more information.

In other words, --exclude works for files AND directories. There is an extensive "FILE SELECTION" chapter in the manpage with examples. I suggest you read it carefully. In fact, read the whole manpage carefully. :-) Rdiff-backup has a lot of documentation, because it has a lot of options and needs to do a lot.

You can also find the manpage online:
http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/rdiff-backup.1.html
along with the other documentation: http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/docs.html which includes a page of examples: http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/examples.html

Andrew