Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Restoring files while rdiff-backup is running

From: Dave Kempe
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Restoring files while rdiff-backup is running
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 21:20:24 +1100

Helge Milde wrote:

Can you elaborate on this, please? I don't understand what's technically
preventing rdiff-backup from letting me restore a backup from (for
instance) a given date. As far as I understand, rdiff already has all
the data it needs to do a restore, and since it should be a read-only
operation, I don't understand how that would impact or corrupt the
ongoing backup process.

Well you may be right logically, but I am not sure rdiff-backup could allow this to happen in the way the meta-data and other backup processes work. I believe the checks in place for restoring are put in place to ensure the logical consistency of the files in the backup repository. Otherwise you may have some files from one age and some from other. Not to mention the mess that could make with reverse diffs etc. To me, it seems like a dangerous operation, and one that rdiff-backup is designed to avoid. However, that being said, if you can design and implement a way to do it, I think the list would be happy to test out your patches. The other developers may have a better and more in depth opinion than me (certainly more qualified than me!). The answers are in the source of course.

thanks

dave