Re: [rdiff-backup-users] File nameing tweaks possible?

From: Dominic
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] File nameing tweaks possible?
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 17:54:36 +0000

Hi Chad

Wouldn't archfs meet your needs? see http://code.google.com/p/archfs/. It requires rdiff-backup (of course) and fuse.

You could make the archfs mountpoint into a samba share and you wouldn't have to mess with the diffs/increment files at all. Users could view all the historic files and have read-only access to them. It is magical!

Cheers

Dominic

Chad McKay wrote:
Hi all,

Rdiff-backup is almost exactly the tool I am looking for. With a few changes
it would be perfect for my particular needs.  I needed to store copies of
the increment files not diffs - so I edited the source code and got that
working. However, I have two other tweaks I would like to make but I'm not a
Python guy at all. I can sometimes muddle through (more perl experience) but
I can't find in the code where I would do two things:

1.      Make the rdiff-backup-data and increments dirs readable for all
users 2. Change the file naming convention to preserve the original extension

The reason being, I'd like my users to be able to open the older versions,
if they need to, right from a samba share. And, of course it would be much
more convenient for them to open the file with the correct extension rather
than renaming/copying it.  E.g. if the file was saved as:

Test.2008-11-17-T17:54:21-05:00.txt  rather than:
Test.txt.2008-11-17-T17:54:21-05:00.snapshot

It would appear to the program as the correct file type and open. Then they
could save it where they like with a new name.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your consideration,

Chad McKay