Re: [rdiff-backup-users] KeyError: 'xattr'

From: Kevin Fenzi
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] KeyError: 'xattr'
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 15:44:07 -0600

On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 17:15:53 -0400
Andrew Ferguson <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Nov 1, 2008, at 4:36 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > Sending back exception [Errno 22] Invalid argument of type <type
> > 'exceptions.IOError'>:
> >
> >  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/rdiff_backup/eas_acls.py",
> > line 109, in write_to_rp
> >    rp.conn.xattr.setxattr(rp.path, name, value, 0, rp.issym())
>

> Hi Kevin,
>
> Your error is different than the one Austin was having, although
> both are related to extended attributes.

ok. ;)

> Please add the '-v 5' option to your rdiff-backup command line. With
> - v 5, it will list each file that it is working on. The last
> filename which it prints out before this error is the one causing the
> problem. Please send the output with this option (you can sent it
> directly to me if you're uncomfortable posting it publicly).

Doesn't bother me. ;)

The one right before the traceback is:

Processing changed file etc/named.conf

> Also
> send the type of the file (by using the `file` command),

file named.conf
named.conf: symbolic link to `/var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf'

>the type of
> the target filesystem,

ext3

>and use the getfattr command to list the
> extended attributes present on the original (source) file. (It could
> be that the destination filesystem is rejecting ACLs in a particular
> namespace.)

getfattr named.conf returns nothing.

> What is happening is that the filesystem on your destination
> apparently doesn't support writing extended attributes on a file of
> that type, or in that context, or something else. To solve this
> problem, we need to identify the file and what is special about it.

Yeah, its a link. The only weird thing is that it's a JFS filesystem.
Perhaps JFS handles links in a weird way?

> I assume since you are using Fedora that you are running SELinux.
> Can you also check in your SELinux logs for messages?

The client machine has selinux disabled (JFS doesn't support selinux).
The backup server has it enabled. No errors or selinux messages in the
logs.

Thanks for the quick answer!

> regards,
> Andrew