Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Upon backup: OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Upon backup: OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 12:31:19 -0400

On Oct 20, 2008, at 6:52 AM, Christian Vest Hansen wrote:

Hi.

I'm trying to back up to a local CIFS mount directory, but the backup
process fails after running for a while.

I mount my backup directory in fstab like this:

//beefy/Users /mnt/beefy_backup cifs
credentials=/home/ me /.smb_credentials,users,uid=1000,gid=1000,dir_mode=0777,file_mode=0777
0 0

And the command I tried to use for making my backup looks like this:

$ rdiff-backup --exclude-globbing-filelist /home/me/.rdiff-exclude
--exclude-special-files /home/me /mnt/beefy_backup/me/Backup/

The Backup directory above is completely empty when I start the backup
process. It runs for 15 minutes or so until it crashes with the
following dying words (complete output):

Warning: hard linking not supported by filesystem at
/mnt/beefy_backup/me/Backup/rdiff-backup-data
ListError .dbus [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/home/me/.dbus'
Exception '[Errno 2] No such file or directory' raised of class '<type
'exceptions.OSError'>':

Hi Christian,

Rdiff-backup is failing on a particular file during a rename operation. I suggest running rdiff-backup with the -v5 option so that you will see the name of each file that it is working on. The last file which it is working on before the error will help guide you to the problem. I have added some debugging code to the next version of rdiff-backup so that these messages can be more helpful.

Also, I suggest you look over the CIFS entry in the FAQ, just to make sure that nothing there applies to your setup: http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/FAQ.html#cifs

regards,
Andrew