Re: [rdiff-backup-users] backing up a directory that already contains an

From: Dave Kempe
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] backing up a directory that already contains an rdiff-backup-data directory
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 18:47:59 +1100

Yeah I backup the rdiff-backup-data directory offsite. Its important for me to make sure the diffs are offsite as well. I only keep -3B backups offsite of the nearline backup. to exclude things, I have found the things like --exclude /mnt/backups/rdiff/**/rdiff-backup-data to be useful

thanks

Dave

Neil Bags wrote:
Hi Dave,

So with your method, do you actually end up backing up the rdiff-backup-data directory, or do you use an exclude rule?

I could lay my backups out like this:
/mnt/backups/rdiff/<machinename>/

And then just rdiff-backup the whole /mnt/backups/rdiff directory offsite, but I would want to exclude all the <machinename>/rdiff-backup-data directories in the interests saving space and time.

Do you know what exclude rule I would need? Exlclude rules make my head hurt :(

Neil Bags.