Re: [rdiff-backup-users] equivalent of rsync "--delete-excluded"

From: Patrick Nagel
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] equivalent of rsync "--delete-excluded"
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 18:19:38 +0800

Hi Charles,

Charles Bueche wrote:
> The subject says it all. I first ran rdiff-backup without any exclusion,
> then wanted to exclude a few directories. How do I get them deleted from
> the target ?

This option can by definition not be in rdiff-backup. rdiff-backup makes
versioned backups, and in order to be possible to go back to a previous
version, all files ever added at one time must stay in the backup.

The only thing you can do, is to add excludes now. You could then use the
--remove-older-than option to delete the old backups (versions) which still
contain those directories - but this will of course also delete all other files
in those older versions.

Patrick.

--
Key ID: 0x86E346D4            http://patrick-nagel.net/key.asc
Fingerprint: 7745 E1BE FA8B FBAD 76AB 2BFC C981 E686 86E3 46D4