Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: restore a specific directory

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: restore a specific directory
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 10:14:44 -0400

On Aug 10, 2008, at 4:44 PM, Max Duessar wrote:
I'm having a similar issue. My backup volume is /Volumes/Backup320 and
I'd like to restore /var/mysql/db1/ to /tempp/db1 (just as a test to
try restoring):

sudo mkdir -p /tempp/db1
sudo rdiff-backup -r 3D /Volumes/Backup320/var/mysql/rcm/ /tempp/db1

Then when it's done, I don't get any output, I'm just back at the
terminal prompt. Also the db1 directory inside /tempp/ is missing
afterward, too. Anything I'm doing wrong? Can you only backup files to
their respective mirror location (e.g. only backup /var/mysql on the
backup to /var/mysql on the main machine)?

Max,

It doesn't look like you are doing anything wrong. Here are four suggestions:

1) Use a different option to specify which restore point you would like, eg, '-r 1B' to specify the newest increment (that is, not the current backup, but the one immediately before it). Perhaps /var/mysql/ rcm/ does not look as you think it did exactly 72 hours before you entered the command.

2) Try not creating the db1 restore target. Rdiff-backup can create that directory for you. (Although my testing shows that it will work either way.)

3) Try restoring the /var/mysql directory to /tempp/mysql and then getting the /tempp/mysql/rcm directory out of that.

4) Run rdiff-backup with -v5 to see more information about the restore process.

To answer your other question, no you do not have to restore files to their original location. /Volumes/Backup320/var/mysql can be restored anywhere.

hope this helps,
Andrew