Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Rdiff-backup with untrusted remote hosts (encry

From: Gavin
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Rdiff-backup with untrusted remote hosts (encrypted backup)
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 10:33:37 +1000

Hi Ladies and Gents,

Box Backup (new to me and available in backports for debian stable (etch) and  http://wiki.rdiff-backup.org/wiki/index.php/BackupToEncfsAcrossSshfs
(perhaps couple this with backupninja to mount/umount encfs via bash script) both great solutions thanks guys.

I guess it all depends on the situation you are faced with for some good logic, that I re-read when required:
http://wiki.boum.org/TechStdOut/EncryptedBackupsForParanoiacs

My current problem to solve is as a home user, 3 networked machines to backup + 1 remote I help to admin and my internet connection is
now rubbish (used to have ADSL2+ now 3G wireless). So I guess I will be turning to an encrypted 2.5inch lappy drive in usb carrier, symmetrically encrypted (think 25-30 char passphrase) since I will be carting it to work as the offsite backup and find keeping keys safe painful. Then run backupninja:

-Tidy-up bash scripts
-Mysql database dumps.
-Rdiff-backup Local-->Local (multiple onsite)
-Rdiff-backup Remote-->Local (very low volume pull)
-Mount scripts
-Rdiff-backup Local-->EncryptedDrive (carried offsite)
-Umount scripts

Cheers
Gavin

Chris Wilson wrote: