Re: [rdiff-backup-users] quick version compatibility question ...

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] quick version compatibility question ...
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 17:41:06 -0400

On Aug 1, 2008, at 5:30 PM, Juri Mianovich wrote:
Thank you - that's very helpful.

Two quick follow-ups:

- will this version to version incompatibility happen regularly, or is the spec nailed down to the point now that I could install 1.2.x everywhere in the field and expect to leave them there for good, even if I upgrade the server to 1.3 or 1.4 or 1.5 over the years ?

The reason the network protocol had to change was because there was a bug in the 1.0.x protocol. I would expect the protocol to continue to change since we use the Python pickling/unpickling network transport mechanism, and that mechanism could certainly change when Python 3 is released this fall, or in the future.

Future versions of rdiff-backup will require newer versions of Python, since Python 3 offers important Unicode support which rdiff-backup will benefit from. Python 3 is not backwards-compatible with Python 2.x

- I was thinking of waiting until 1.2.1, just to get the early bugs fixed. Do you see that arriving in the next week or two ?

I certainly won't build a release next week, since I will be traveling all of next week without internet access. Of course, that doesn't stop another maintainer from releasing one. When I get back, if there are any new open bug reports, I will certainly endeavor to fix them.

Frankly, if rdiff-backup 1.0.x is working well for you and it is so difficult for you to deploy new versions, there's nothing stopping you from sticking with the old stable releases. :-)

Andrew