Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Status of native Windows port?

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Status of native Windows port?
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 09:04:43 -0400

On Jul 29, 2008, at 2:33 AM, Patrick Nagel wrote:
Thanks from me, too! Although I don't have a copy of MS Visual Studio 2003
available, so I can't build rdiff-backup on Windows myself.

Is there no way to make the build process less dependent on this piece of
closed-source software?

It's not dependent. VS2003 was only necessary at the start since Python for Windows is compiled under the same tools and Josh encountered some issues when using other compilers and linking against the Windows file libraries (iirc). We have since worked around those issues (and benefited from the workaround).

There was a report that rdiff-backup was successfully compiled under MinGW earlier this month. If you create a build script for that environment, it can be certainly be posted as well.

Andrew