Re: [rdiff-backup-users] UnicodeEncodeError Mac OS X 10.5

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] UnicodeEncodeError Mac OS X 10.5
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 07:02:19 -0400

On Jul 23, 2008, at 4:48 AM, Max Duessar wrote:
"ld: warning in /usr/local/lib/librsync.a, file is not of required architecture"

Don't worry -- that's a warning, not an error. The difference is that warnings are non-fatal. Your compile almost certainly finished just fine. As long as you have two new files, "C.so" and "_librsync.so" you're good to go.

So I run this to see what architecture it's compiled for:

$ lipo -info /usr/local/lib/librsync.a
input file /usr/local/lib/librsync.a is not a fat file
Non-fat file: /usr/local/lib/librsync.a is architecture: i386

i386 seems fine after looking at the output for compilec.py showing (I
think) that it's using either i386 or ppc:

"gcc -Wl,-F. -bundle -undefined dynamic_lookup -arch i386 -arch ppc
build/temp.macosx-10.5-i386-2.5/_librsyncmodule.o -lrsync -o
build/lib.macosx-10.5-i386-2.5/_librsync.so"

I have the same setup and see the same warning. I suspect the reason is because Python wants to compile the rdiff-backup modules as "-arch i386 -arch ppc" (universal) whereas librsync is i386-only. .... The warning from the linker (ld) is about the ppc architecture. Although I haven't tried this, I suspect that recompiling librsync with flags for both architectures would eliminate the warning message.

Andrew