Re: [rdiff-backup-users] how to exclude mount point on destination,

From: Maarten Bezemer
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] how to exclude mount point on destination,
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 21:36:35 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On Fri, 4 Jul 2008, lo73fr wrote:

> If I remove the --force, it will not work at all.

> Fatal Error: Destination directory
> /opt
> exists, but does not look like a rdiff-backup directory.

Which is true. If you just want to mirror the source /opt to the
destination /opt, use rsync instead of rdiff-backup.
Otherwise you may end up with an unusable rdiff-backup tree when something
at the destination server decides to write to /opt. Which is not very
unlikely.

As far as I know, the one and only reason one wants to use --force is when
doing an initial rdiff-backup run after first copying (parts of) the data
you want backed up to the backup tree. I usually use rsync for that,
because with rdiff-backup the initial run takes a lot more time than plain
rsync.

Could you consider copying the source /opt tree to something like
/opt/backup at the destination? That would both work around your
/opt/apache problem, and provide you with a sane backup tree.

Kind regards,
 Maarten