Re: [rdiff-backup-users] one more bug in rdiff-backup-1.1.16

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] one more bug in rdiff-backup-1.1.16
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 12:05:05 -0400

On Jun 23, 2008, at 10:04 AM, Farkas Levente wrote:

Andrew Ferguson wrote:
On Jun 23, 2008, at 5:24 AM, Farkas Levente wrote:
Andrew Ferguson wrote:
On Jun 21, 2008, at 4:45 PM, Farkas Levente wrote:
hi,
we just try rdiff-backup-1.1.16 and we've got this error all the time we run: File "/usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/rpath.py", line 58, in copyfileobj
 inbuf = inputfp.read(blocksize)
File "/usr/lib64/python2.4/gzip.py", line 225, in read
 self._read(readsize)
File "/usr/lib64/python2.4/gzip.py", line 273, in _read
 self._read_eof()
File "/usr/lib64/python2.4/gzip.py", line 309, in _read_eof
 raise IOError, "CRC check failed"
IOError: CRC check failed
Hi Farkas,
Does this happen if you revert to 1.1.15? It doesn't look like a 1.1.16-specific bug to me. It looks more like trouble with a file or hardware (CRC check). Do you get this message all computers which you have installed 1.1.16 on? Or only this one?
I agree the error message could be more helpful!

i've got only one system with 1.1.16 all other use the stable version. this one backup a windows server which is mounted as a cifs filesystem. the reason i try the latest development since there are many hungarian, vietnamese characters in filename and the stable release can't handle it. unfortunately this version has more error and it's not backup anything:-(. this means today i losse 90GB backup. so i start to think it'd be useful to give such option as in rsync --max-delete.

our command was:
rdiff-backup -v5 --print-statistics --ssh-no-compression --include- globbing-filelist /etc/rdiff-backup/filelist/windows / /srv/backup/ windows

/etc/rdiff-backup/filelist/windows:
-----------------------------
- /mnt/windows/f/System**
- /mnt/windows/f/shared/backup
+ /mnt/windows/f/shared
- **
-----------------------------
my real problems what is the:
what is these file in the error log:
-----------------------------
mnt/windows/f/proc
mnt/windows/f/selinux
mnt/windows/f/sys
-----------------------------
there is no such files and shouldn't have to happened? ha can it be checked???
I'm afraid I don't understand what you've described. Are you claiming rdiff-backup tried to backup files which don't exist? I suppose that could happen since it doesn't look like you excluded "/ srv/backup/windows" from the excluded paths. Remember, a circular backup is guaranteed to cause problems.

no. i backup / to /srv/backup/windows (just look at again my command line) this is a bigger script all backups backup / with different filelist. of course there is no such file as mnt/windows/f/proc and i don't know what's the reason for this:
-----------------------------------
File "/usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/eas_acls.py", line 357, in read_from_rp
   sListError mnt/windows/f/proc [Errno 95] Operation not supported
ListError mnt/windows/f/selinux [Errno 95] Operation not supported
ListError mnt/windows/f/sys [Errno 95] Operation not supported
-----------------------------------

Ok, this is what I'm thinking:

1) Rdiff-backup tried to open files like "/mnt/windows/f/proc" and "/ mnt/windows/f/selinux" and "/mnt/windows/f/sys". These files MUST have existed when rdiff-backup was running -- there is no way for it to imagine files which don't exist!

2) You claim these files do not exist, never did, and never should. I am inclined to believe you since "proc" "selinux" and "sys" are all Linux-specific root-level directories.

The conclusion I draw from these two facts is that your mount points or filepaths were some how screwed-up while rdiff-backup was running. There was nothing rdiff-backup could do about that. The system was simply mis-configured at the time.

I have two more concerns:

1) Why are you excluding /mnt/windows/... ? Is that the same machine as "backup" -- what is this mount setup you are running? It clearly has many parts.

2) Based on your include file, aren't you really just trying to do this:

$ rdiff-backup -v5 --print-statistics --ssh-no-compression --exclude / mnt/windows/f/shared/backup /mnt/windows/f/shared /srv/backup/windows

Why aren't you running it like that?

Andrew