Re: [rdiff-backup-users] still has charset problems

From: Farkas Levente
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] still has charset problems
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 00:29:19 +0200

Andrew Ferguson wrote:
On Mar 16, 2008, at 9:35 AM, Farkas Levente wrote:

hi,
we use rdiff-backup-1.1.15 but while we backup cifs mounted win2003 server we regularly get such errors bellow. the reason some kind of filename encoding. unfortunately we use some hungarian iso-8859-2 and some kind of koran chars in filename too;-( it'd be useful to fix it somehow. on the other hand while it's not fixed at least it'd be useful if rdiff-backup go further and skip those files and at least the other part of the file system would be backed up. since currently even if only one error occurred the whole backup process quit which is not really robust behavior.

Hi Farkas,

Thanks for the bug report. I have made the CVS version of rdiff-backup robust to this kind of error. It's not clear to me whether the error is due to rdiff-backup, the pyxattr module, or samba/cifs, but at least it will no longer crash the backup.

can i wait a new release in the near future?