Re: [rdiff-backup-users] --never-drop-acls

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] --never-drop-acls
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 12:25:38 -0400

On Apr 20, 2008, at 12:04 PM, David Andel wrote:

Hi Andrew

Do you have pylibacl installed? That is necessary for Python to be able
to read and modify the ACL entries on teh filesystem. Without it
installed, it will report this error.

Yes, on the destination machine this is installed (Debian Version:
0.2.1-3.1).

You really only need it on the source machine (the machine which is being backed-up). rdiff-backup will store the ACLs in an internal file (rdiff-backup-data/access_control_lists*) so that they can be written back on restore.

Additionally, if pylibacl is present on the destination, rdiff-backup will try to write the ACLs to the backed-up versions.

You can confirm whether or not rdiff-backup is loading the pylibacl
module by running with the -v4 option. Near the top of the output it
will say.

Now this is interesting: on my test machine with version 1.1.15
installed I get a table of "Detected abilities" printed with this
option. On the server where there is version 1.1.5 no table is being
printed.
Unfortunately, I did not find the option -v4 in the documentation.
Is there a way to get this info without this option or do I have to
install a newer version?

-v4 is simply setting the verbosity level to 4. Search the manpage for "verbosity". It should be the entry right under --user-mapping-file.

You should see two tables when you run rdiff-backup. One table displays the detected abilities of the source system, the second for the destination. The one for the source is longer.

Finally, you cannot run rdiff-backup 1.1.15 on one system and 1.1.5 on another. Between those two versions (both development), it was necessary to break the rdiff-backup protocol in order to fix a long standing bug.

Andrew