Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Problem restoring to directory with existing fi

From: Warren Guy
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Problem restoring to directory with existing files.
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 01:06:50 +0900

Jeremy Polen wrote:
I tried and succeeded to restore files into a directory that already had the backed up files and newer files that I had added since the last backup. When I restored, it wiped out all my other files. Is this the default behavior of rdiff-backup? And if it is, is there a way to change it that it doesn't wipe out files that lay outside of the backup set/mirror?

The restore process restores the destination directory to its last backed up state, so this sounds like expected behaviour. I think it is generally accepted best practice to restore your backup to a different location on disk, and then moving it in to place, retaining a copy of the existing directory you are restoring. This way you remove the risk of accidentally overwriting/deleting files unexpectedly during restore. There has been some discussion on the list recently about this and other similar "gotchas", so it may be worth checking out the archives.

--
Warren Guy
Senior System Administrator

Direct +61 8 6468 3877