Re: [rdiff-backup-users] external hard disk backups - best practice

From: Dave Kempe
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] external hard disk backups - best practice
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 13:17:34 +1100 (EST)

> The bad news is that if my first set gets corrupted, then rsync will
> relay the corruption out to the offsite copy.  My reason for two
> copies is disaster recovery, not backup repository corruption.  May
> need to rethink that based on this discussion.

That is exactly why I rdiff-backup the rdiff-backup repo, but only if it
worked successfully. (see the script I posted - its does this). Then I
keep 3 good backups of it offsite with rdiff-backup.
That script btw is used for backing up about 900Gb of data across about 15
servers. Most servers have just 1 job, but some have 2, because the data
is large enough and important enough to be split from the system.

dave