[rdiff-backup-users] SpecialFileError ... Socket error: AF_UNIX path too

From: Patrick Nagel
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] SpecialFileError ... Socket error: AF_UNIX path too long
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 12:13:59 +0800

Hi there,

I'm new to rdiff-backup, and so far I find it to be a great tool. During this
night's (incremental, the script runs for the 5th time or so) backup of four
vservers, I encountered a batch of errors that looked like:

SpecialFileError var/run/dovecot/auth-worker.2765 Socket error: AF_UNIX path
too long
SpecialFileError var/run/dovecot/login/default Socket error: AF_UNIX path too
long
SpecialFileError var/spool/postfix/private/anvil Socket error: AF_UNIX path
too long
SpecialFileError var/spool/postfix/private/auth Socket error: AF_UNIX path too
long
SpecialFileError var/spool/postfix/private/bounce Socket error: AF_UNIX path
too long
[...]

It happened on every vserver that had postfix and/or dovecot running. But it
never happened during the previous four runs, which I find odd - those
sockets should have been in place during the last backups, too.

I read that it's not a critical problem
(http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/rdiff-backup-users/2008-01/msg00020.html)
and at least one other thread on this mailing list. I'm currently not using
the --exclude-sockets option - but from what I read it doesn't help
suppressing these error messages.
Also I think that the error message can't be right. It has been said that
there is a limit at 107 characters - but my path (even when I include the
target prefix, which is 22 chars long in my setup), I only come to a max. of
60 chars.

So I think it would be good if somebody with a clue (which excludes me) could
have a look at the source and check what's really going on, and find a
solution for this issue (that has been multiply reported, for example also
here: http://wiki.rdiff-backup.org/wiki/index.php/SpecialFileError).

Patrick.

--
Key ID: 0x86E346D4            http://patrick-nagel.net/key.asc
Fingerprint: 7745 E1BE FA8B FBAD 76AB 2BFC C981 E686 86E3 46D4