Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Removing rdiff stat files

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Removing rdiff stat files
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2008 16:32:23 -0500

Mark Jorgensen wrote:

> I would like to remove all of the rdiff files on our system and
> basically start from scratch.  Can I just do a rm on all files in the
> rdiff-backup-data directory and will a new backup recreate those files?

Yes. If you want to save time on the next backup, use the --force option
and it will not re-transfer the backed-up files (which already exist).

> We are getting a ton of missing file warnings everyday from cron and
> instead of manually going through each one and checking them (there are
> hundreds) I’d rather just remove all the rdiff stat/metadata/increment
> files.  Is that recommended?  I know I probably wouldn’t be able to do a
> restore without them, correct?

Correct. rdiff-backup stores the backup as a current mirror + reverse
diffs. The rdiff-backup-data directory stores the metadata and reverse
diffs.

Best,
Andrew

--