Re: [rdiff-backup-users] [Solved] Where did the restored folder go to?

From: Martin Fisher
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] [Solved] Where did the restored folder go to?
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 16:34:09 -0300

Shamefacedly I must now indicate that I have solved this problem
following a 2-day lay off from looking at the screen... The problems
were 2-fold:

(1) I did not fully understand how to specify where the backup files are
located. Hence I specified

/media/ext3backup/rdiff-backup/home/martin/Documents/...

whereas I should have specified

/media/ext3backup/rdiff-backup/Documents/...

I don't know why, but I assumed that because my crontab is
(abbreviating):

0 * * * * rdiff-backup --include --include /home/martin/Documents
--exclude '**' /home/martin /media/ext3backup/rdiff-backup

that /home/martin was part of the backup path. But of course it is not,
as can be seen clearly in the file browser.

(2) A fuller understand of how to specify the time was required. At the
time I succeeded in restoring the files, the deletion was made 4 days
previously, and therefore using '-r 4D' worked fine.

Incidentally, the backup and restore works fine using parentheses
( and ) in folder names.

With thanks to those who helped! Martin

--
Dr Martin Fisher
Editor, Oryx - The International Journal of Conservation

e-mail address@hidden
tel +44 (0)20 81238513
skype martin_pescador

Oryx online http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayJournal?jid=ORX