Re: [rdiff-backup-users] feature suggestions

From: aurbain
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] feature suggestions
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 09:26:33 -0500

BDV wrote:
Hello,

1. Clean escape in case of a version mismatch
If rdiff-backup detects a difference in the rdiff-backup versions used in a network setup, it should print a error message and exit. Now it prints a warning and crashes. Due to the python dump, newbies get the impression rdiff-backup is unstable software.

2. backwards compatibility
I know this is hard to implement. But in a large network, you can't live without. (think http 1.0 and http 1.1, ssh 1 and 2) That's my suggestion for future versions. Provide some level of compatibility between stable releases of rdiff-backup. So you only have to upgrade the rdiff-backup install on you backup server(s).

We eliminate the client completely by installing rdiff only on backup server and mount remote boxes via fuse and sshfs. Simple. Works great.

Thanks,

BDV