[rdiff-backup-users] Will backing up an rdiff backup cause any problems?

From: Chris G
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Will backing up an rdiff backup cause any problems?
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 22:14:00 +0100

I want to backup some files fairly frequently from one place to
another on my system using rdiff-backup and at less frequent
intervals copy the backup files off site to a remote system.

Since the 'source' of the files I'm backing up is a Vmware guest
system the files to be backed up won't always be there, so my strategy
is to be:-

    A half-hourly (or something like that) cron job will run
    rdiff-backup to backup the files from the vmware guest to
    a local Linux file system on a different drive.  I could maybe
    also try and do a copy when the vmware guest is started and when
    it's stopped (though the latter is more difficult).

    An overnight rdiff-backup of the Linux filesystem copy of the
    Linux copy of the files to a remote system.  I can't run this
    directly from the vmware guest because that guest may not be
    running.

Will doing an rdiff-backup of a file hierarchy created by rdiff-backup
cause any problems?

--
Chris Green