Re: [rdiff-backup-users] backup incrementals to optical media?

From: Chris Wilson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] backup incrementals to optical media?
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 23:48:51 +0100 (BST)

Hi Brandon,

the rdiff-backup represents not only a current 'mirror' (I backup daily) of my data, but also true 'backups' through the incremental storage facility.

The problem is this: If I lose my USB hard drive, then I lose all my backups. Now, I know that a real backup scheme requires one to have two copies of the backups, but that kind of defeats the purpose of using an efficient tool like rdiff-backup. I don't want to copy all the data to a second drive and I don't want to run RAID1 mirror either.

Rsync the entire mirror copy to another disk, or another location across the network.

Would it make sense to make a backup copy to optical or tape media of all the data in the rdiff-backup-data directories? Would I be able to use these increments if the USB drive failed? Would these files still be able to be used if files needed to be recovered?

rdiff-backup-data contains only patches, they are useless without the latest matching version of the full file, which is in the mirror. So back up the entire mirror.

Cheers, Chris.
--