Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Recovery from recovery

From: Decibel!
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Recovery from recovery
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 15:41:48 -0500

On Tue, Aug 07, 2007 at 03:12:46PM -0400, Andrew Ferguson wrote:
> Andrew Ferguson wrote:
> > Looking at the permissions for /var/vm/swapfile0 on my system, they are
> > 1600 (that is, the sticky bit is set). I'll have to see if that kind of
> > setup causes a problem for rdiff-backup. I don't have a
> > /var/vm/sleepimage (are you using an Intel Mac?)
> >

> >>   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/rpath.py",
> >> line 759, in chmod
> >>     self.conn.os.chmod(self.path, permissions & Globals.permission_mask)
> >> OSError: [Errno 79] Inappropriate file type or format: './Previous
> >> Systems.localized/Previous System 1/private/var/vm/rdiff-backup.tmp.1'
>
> Hang on, you were doing a restore to a non-Mac OS X system, yes?
>
> According to:
> http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/Error-Codes.html
>
> "Inappropriate file type or format" is returned on some systems if you
> try to set the sticky bit on non-directory files. Since this is
> definitely a non-directory file, that's almost certainly what's happening.
>
> I'm going to guess you were backing up to a Linux system. Some more
> googling suggests that the *BSD's will allow it (eg, Mac OS X).

Actually, this is backing up an Intel Mac to a FreeBSD box. I'm not
trying to restore right now, just back out the failed backup. Simply
removing the file from the backup resulted in another error (which I
didn't think to capture), so I've just deleted it from the metadata
(along with another file that was also mode 896)... that did the trick
(though I'd be a bit surprised if it didn't...)

Though, the error occurred before it reported "Regressing attributes",
which makes me think this is a different issue (or the logging isn't
quite accurate).
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect  address@hidden