Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: Error: Too Many values to unpack

From: Neil Van Dyke
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: Error: Too Many values to unpack
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 20:00:02 -0400

I'm a user of the Debian packagings of "rdiff-backup", and have been bit
hard as a result of Debian's version choices and the
non-backward-compatible protocol changes between 1.1.5 and 1.1.12.

Currently, Debian "stable" contains a development version of
"rdiff-backup" (which in hindsight seems to have been a mistake, given
that it no longer works with versions people are using on their
workstations).

I think Debian needs to switch to packaging versions of "rdiff-backup"
that guarantee compatibility with whatever version of "rdiff-backup" is
in Debian "stable" (currently, Debian "etch").

Then, to solve the problem of Debian "stable" being broken, what might
be very helpful is to produce a stable version of "rdiff-backup" that is
backward-compatible with 1.1.5, so that Debian can (ideally) make this
new stable version a security update for Debian "etch".

See also:

One thing I should add... Some people, myself included, who use Debian
for mission-critical servers (including as backup servers using
rdiff-backup), make a point to run only Debian "stable" plus select
security updates.  Downloading ".deb" from random places, or even from
some semi-official backports site, is very much frowned upon by such people.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.  Please note that I'm not a Debian
maintainer, but I am pushing on this issue because my backup scheme is
dead in the water right now. :)

Thanks,
Neil

--