Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Equivalent of rsync's -R (--relative) option?

From: Frederik
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Equivalent of rsync's -R (--relative) option?
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 14:43:47 +0200

On 5/20/07, Andrew Ferguson <address@hidden> wrote:
Frederik wrote:
> On 5/19/07, Andrew Ferguson <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Did you try:
>>
>> rdiff-backup /home/user /mnt/backup/home/user
>>
>> ? --create-full-path should handle creating the full path of
>> /mnt/backup/home/user if it doesn't exist.
>
> Yep, thought about that too, but I don't like this solution too much
because:

> - it forces me to run rdiff-backup separately for each directory I
> want to backup (say I want to backup /etc, /var, and /home, I have to
> run three times rdiff-backup)
> - It will create an rdiff-backup-data directory in each of these
> directories, so if I want to restore one of them, I always have to
> keep in mind to remove the rdiff-backup-data directory after restoring
> it by copying the files.

Why are you restoring by copying and then deleting the rdiff-backup-data
dir? You can use rdiff-backup to restore, as is recommended, and it will
not only take care of that issue, but it will preserve all metadata and
allow you to restore from previous backup points.

If I just want to restore the latest version, and have no metadata
except basic file permissions, I can as well copy it back with cp -a
instead of using rdiff-backup? This is at least what is explained on
http://rdiff-backup.nongnu.org/examples.html

> I wonder how backupninja handles this, as it exactly backups different
> directories with full path and only one rdiff-backup-data directory
> IIRC.

Use include/exclude files to specify exactly which files you want to
backup. I'm sure that's how backupninja handles this as it's the only
way I can think of that only results in a single rdiff-backup-data
directory.

I think I managed to do it now with this command:
rdiff-backup --exclude-globbing-filelist exclude.lst / /media//backup/

and exclude.lst containing:
+ /home
+ /etc
+ /var
- **
- /home/*/.Trash
- /home/*/.local/share/Trash
- /home/*/tmp
- /var/tmp
- /var/log
- /var/lock
- /var/run

Still the possibility to add several source directories as argument
and the -R option like in rsync, would have been much more
intuitive...
--
Frederik