Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Problems with backup to CIFS

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Problems with backup to CIFS
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 23:47:09 -0400

Mario,

The code in question:

upper_a = subdir.append("A")
upper_a.touch()
lower_a = subdir.append("a")
if lower_a.lstat():
        lower_a.delete()
        upper_a.setdata()
        assert not upper_a.lstat()
        return 0
else:
        upper_a.delete()
        return 1

1) creates the file 'A'
2) Tests if the file 'a' now exists
3) If it does not exist, then the filesystem is case-sensitive (A != a)
4) If it does exist, then the filesystem is case-insensitive (A == a)
If the filesystem is case-insensitive, delete file 'a', then check that
this goes both ways and file 'A' no longer exists

upper_a.setdata() re-rsyncs rdiff-backup's internal data structure that
describes the state and metadata of a given file (in this case the file
'A').

I believe that this exception is do to some sort of caching or
synchronization weirdness. It is present only when backing-up to
SMB/CIFS systems, and only for certain users.

Andrew