Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: offsite service providers?

From: Richard Steven Hack
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: offsite service providers?
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 21:01:27 -0700

Greg Freemyer wrote:
With a Dedicated Server or VPS (virtual private server) I would feel
confident enough, but with a truly shared server at a minimum the
local admin could access the files.

If your box isn't physically under your control, ANYBODY who DOES have physical access can get in.

It's that simple, dedicated server or no. That's a basic security concept.

So the risk isn't any higher than ANY Web hosting situation, in my view.

If you have files detailing your plans to fly planes into a tall building, I wouldn't store them there. But if you're willing to let your customers credit card numbers be stored there, why not any other files - as long as they're legal?