[rdiff-backup-users] slow incrementals over ssh to localhost

From: Jeff Strunk
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] slow incrementals over ssh to localhost
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 09:59:20 -0600

Good morning,

I just found that it takes 3 times longer to perform an incremental backup via
ssh of the local machine than to perform the incremental backup directly.

I start my backups at 11pm every night. The backup via ssh starting on 3/6 at
11pm ended on 3/7 at 10:30pm. The direct backup starting on 3/7 at 11pm ended
on 3/8 at 6:49am. This backup consists of SVN working copies, Maildir
folders, etc.

Why would ssh over localhost be so much slower?

The reason I had configured it that way was to have all of my backups start
from a non-root user's crontab and for consistency with all of the other
machines that get backed up.

Any ideas on increasing localhost performance? Is that the way it should be?

Thanks,
Jeff