Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup error: Mac OS X -> Linux

From: Chris Wilson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup error: Mac OS X -> Linux
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 21:42:01 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Andrew,

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007, Andrew Ferguson wrote:

Chris, rdiff-backup will adjust permissions as necessary (eg, adding 100 to Spotlight-V100 during backup), but you have to be the file's owner to do so (or root).

Sorry for the late reply. Do you happen to know where it does that, and since what version? I've run into this problem when backing up directories with weird permissions using 1.0.4 and 1.0.5.

Also, rdiff-backup shouldn't need any special permissions to alter the permissions of the directories _which it creates and owns_ in the mirror. It just needs to be careful to ensure that they are created with sane permissions.

Cheers, Chris.
--