[rdiff-backup-users] Exclude-sockets not working (Mac OS X)

From: Ilari Scheinin
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Exclude-sockets not working (Mac OS X)
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 00:57:59 +0200

I am running rdiff-backup with the --exclude-sockets option, but I am still getting this kind of error for every socket: ListError private/var/launchd/0/sock [Errno 1] Operation not permitted: '/private/var/launchd/0/sock'

I am running rdiff-backup with sudo, and below is the output for ls:

$ ls -l /private/var/launchd/0
srwx------   1 root  wheel  0 Feb 19 10:18 sock

Am I doing something wrong, or is the program not able to correctly detect sockets in this environment (HFS+ Journaled under Mac OS X 10.4.8)?

I installed rdiff-backup using MacPorts:
sudo port install rdiff-backup-devel (1.1.5)
sudo port install py-xattr (0.2)

Also, what is even more puzzling, is that most of these error messages contain a path that does not make any sense: ListError private/var/run/cron.pid/cupsd [Errno 1] Operation not permitted: '/private/var/run/cupsd'

While the latter path is correct, the first one is not. As you can see from the ls output snippet below, there is no directory called cron.pid, but that is in fact the name of the file just before the socket cupsd:

$ ls -l /private/var/run/
-rw-r--r--   1 root  daemon     3 Feb 19 10:18 configd.pid
-rw-r--r--   1 root  daemon     5 Feb 22 18:52 cron.pid
srwxrwxrwx   1 root  daemon     0 Feb 19 13:19 cupsd
drwxrwxr-x   2 www   www       68 Feb 19 10:18 davlocks

As there are not really too many sockets, I have just excluded them manually for now, but it would be nice to get --exclude-sockets working.

All the best,
Ilari