[rdiff-backup-users] Performance

From: Corey Puffalt
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Performance
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 22:15:53 -0700

All...

Is anyone else having any performance issues with rdiff-backup?

# time rdiff-backup --check-destination-dir /mnt/backup/ibookbackups/

real    163m44.025s
user    127m25.820s
sys     18m1.866s

As you can see this took 2 hours and 40 minutes just to fix (?) the local backup directory.  Granted this machine is not a terribly fast machine (it has a Via C3 chip running at 1Ghz) but still, this seems rather excessive.  The backup repository is about 58G in size.

Does anyone have any tips on how the performance can be improved?  Is this due to rdiff-backup being written in Python?

Backups, even when few files have changed also take a very long time (even longer than the time I show above) but I have yet to have a backup complete successfully recently (see my other post to the list from several days ago) so I don't have exact times.

Thanks,
Corey