Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup for email

From: rdiff
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup for email
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 15:58:40 -0800 (PST)

I back up my entire system with rdiff-backup to a local drive, then rsync the entire rdiff-backup over to another box. I backup email, Postgresql, Mysql, Apache, etc.

Just be aware that unless you are taking special precautions, the
postgresql backup is not guaranteed to be consistent. I am not sure about
the others, but I imagine that would also be the case.

You might do something like
pg_dumpall > /some/place/which/gets/backed/up/pgsql-backup.sql

And then back that up each night. rdiff will take the differences and if you ever need to do a bare metal-restore with different pgsql versions, you can.

-Eric