[rdiff-backup-users] Suggestion for documentation change

From: Michael Stucki
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Suggestion for documentation change
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 22:30:18 +0100

Hi folks,

I just managed to work around a big problem, and I thought it would be good
to let you know about:

I was trying to backup a collection of mounted SMB shares on a Linux system.
In the first run, this worked very well, but after that I've encountered a
big problem:

Although nothing changed on any of those shares, rdiff-backup incremented a
lot of files, just randomly as it seemed to me. The diff files of these
increments were always just a few bytes, they didn't contain any noticable
changes inside.

After all I've found out that the "--no-compare-inode" option solves this
problem. As it seems, remounting a share causes a change of the inode data
(though there is nothing stored on inodes since the system is remote...)

Since the man-page didn't mention anything about this, and I didn't see
anybody else reporting this problem, I thought it would be good to let you
know about this little workaround...

- michael