Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup for email

From: joe
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup for email
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 10:32:03 +1100 (EST)

> Michael Simms wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm new to the list, and to rdiff-backup. We're looking at alternatives
>> for backing up email. It's currently 3TB, and growing quickly. Is anyone
>> out there backing up email, or other 'mission critical' data with
>> rdiff-backup?

I use it for email for a smallish domain. The mailstore is cyrus imap, I
backup the mail store each night (much smaller than yours, 14gb) using
rdiff-backup. The main advantage is the ability to recover deleted email
if necessary.

> I back up my entire system with rdiff-backup to a local drive, then rsync
> the
> entire rdiff-backup over to another box.  I backup email, Postgresql,
> Mysql,
> Apache, etc.

Just be aware that unless you are taking special precautions, the
postgresql backup is not guaranteed to be consistent. I am not sure about
the others, but I imagine that would also be the case.

Hope this helps,

Joe